Friday, September 24, 2010

A Sad Story of a Watch


For my birthday, my very wonderful and thoughtful mother in law got me a beautiful Michael Kors watch. I loved it very much. I wore it to work for the first and last time. It was a Monday. The watch was heavy and since I was not used to the weight, I took it off and left it on my desk in my office. I had to go to a meeting, then I went to lunch. I came back from lunch and my watch was gone!
I searched everywhere frantically, hoping I had misplaced it. I called everyone I knew, sent out mass emails to my whole office. Nothing. I waited, I prayed, I hoped, I scoured every inch of my life. Nothing. At this point, I knew my beautiful new watch had been stolen by someone in my office. I thought I had 25 friends at work but now they all seemed suspicious.
I waited for 1,2,3,4,5 days hoping that someone would feel guilty and put it back in my office. Nothing. More emails to coworkers, I scoured EBay, craigslist and KSL thinking some jerk was trying to sell it for quick cash, more searching and then I was no longer sad, at this point I was furious.
I decided to call the police and file a report. I had visions of them coming in and interrogating everyone in the office, finding the culprit and hauling them off to jail. Instead the police officer took my report over the PHONE, told me he doubted they would be able to find it and said he would call me if anything turned up! What?! Is this the same police who pulled me over for turning right while my car blinker was accidentally blinking left and then ARRESTED me because of an unpaid ticket on my record from 5 years earlier which I had FORGOTTEN about because it had been in a MALL parking lot?! (Yes this really happened to me) So that is all they are good for?! Arresting innocent young girls for no apparent reason at 7 o’clock on a Tuesday evening and not actually doing their job with a real crime, albeit a small crime but still? I raged over this for a few days, so happy to see my tax dollars hard at work.
So here we are, 2 weeks later, I am resigned to the fact that my watch was stolen by seemingly good people at work, never to be returned. RIP my Michael Kors beauty. I loved you, even if it was only for three days.

Here is my lesson learned: I no longer have care free trust for strangers or people I think could mean no harm. Gone are my unlocked car, left out purse days. People, although generally good, often time enough, just plain suck.

5 comments:

  1. Cousin-in-law... That is the saddest story! I am so sorry that happened to you! I hate when you feel like you can't trust people! At least it seems that you have turned in into a positive experience, you are amazing for that fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously sad. i hope that one of your guild ridden co-workers turns it in and the something they love gets stolen from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this is so sad.... I would have been seriously upset too. & can't believe the arrested you for that back in the day?!
    It is sad but true, I don't trust anyone. No matter how nice and sweet i think they are.
    My advice... check people's wrists to see if anyone is wearing your watch? sorry dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whitney,

    i think we are in the same ward. i swear we are. my very first week you gave a stellar lesson. oh, and can't forget those scrumptious cookies!

    i just somehow came to your blog and i was glancing at the pictures and thought "ooo, this girl's got my style, i like her." then to realize that "this stylish girl" is in my ward!

    ha. i just gave out how bored my saturday night is.

    and this post? fuuuugh. made me want to vomit. i have this horrible taste in my mouth right now. i can relate with you on so many levels. just remember that karma's a bitch. excuse me, but it's true.

    and i'm so sorry for your loss. it brings back bad memories for me, too. :(

    p.s
    i totally have cop-phobia. i'm convinced that the entire police force is out to get me. i get beyond nervous when i see a cop driving. ha. i'm pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha this is a sad story!! i feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete